Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 11 recipe: P-Daddy's Mississippi River Shakshuka

For dinner on Friday, June 5, I (Piers) cooked up a pot of P-Daddy's Mississippi River Shakshuka. Shoutout to my dear friend Amy Block for introducing me to the Tunisian breakfast dish from which I drew my inspiration, and to Casey's General Store in Lagrange, IL, whose limited supplies imposed constraints that--as anyone who watches Chopped knows well--are ever the mother of invention. 

1 bottle Prego tomato sauce
1 bottle meat-flavored Prego tomato sauce, because Casey's only had one non-meat-flavored sauce 
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 cans black beans (for extra protein; not ordinarily part of this dish)
8 eggs
1/2 brick of American cheese, chopped
curry, chili powder, garam masala, salt, and pepper to taste

1. Sauté onion and garlic.
2. Transfer OG to pot with tomato sauces, beans, and spices. Cook until a little bubbly.
3. Crack eggs into pot. Stir until egg whites turn white, resembling poached eggs.
4. Decant, and sprinkle each serving with chopped cheese.
5. Enjoi

"It burnt my tongue a little bit but I liked it"--Clement

"It hurt Clement, so it hurt me, but it was also good"--Bennett

"Shak-super"--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment